By Jesse Kepka
NASM Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Nutrition Coach and Corrective Exercise Specialist
I have so many reasons to love protein!
- It’s harder to store as fat.
- If you’re losing weight and end the day in a caloric deficit, it’s especially important that you are getting enough to protect that lean mass for which you’re working so hard.
- You’re burning calories by eating it! Of all the macros, your body uses the most calories to use and process it.
- It will satiate you longer (vs fat and carbs), which is again important if your goal is weight loss.
- Do you love to eat before bed? Make sure it’s protein. We do most of our protein synthesis for muscle repair and recovery while we are sleeping. If you give your body direct access to what it needs right before bed with a high bioavailability protein shake, you will feel more recovered in the morning as well as boost your lean mass production. I love to sip on my strawberry shake while I power down for the night.
There’s so much information regarding the daily intake of protein out there, ranging from .5g/lb bodyweight to 1g/lb. Everyone’s body is so different in regard to what works. In my reading and in client progress as well as for myself, I always recommend aiming for the high end, so 1 g protein per pound of bodyweight. Also, try to be aware of using both plant-based and animal-based protein sources. It’s always best to stay in balance.
If you have questions about protein shakes, I recommend visiting any Supplement Superstore. Those guys/girls are fantastic and want you to succeed! They will also write you out a nutrition plan based on your lifestyle and goals. I have one for myself, and I love it.
Tip shared by Jesse Kepka, NASM-certified personal trainer, corrective exercise specialist and owner of Elevate Fitness. Jesse is a co-organizer for Priority Fit Camp. Each week, we publish a health and wellness tip that is shared at the Priority Fit Camp community workout. The free group class happens every Saturday at 7:50 a.m.Click for more info on the free Saturday group workout.